Mission and Purpose
The mission of Higher Things® is to assist parents, pastors, and congregations in cultivating a distinctly Lutheran identity among their youth and young adults.
To fulfill this mission, Higher Things:
- Catechizes youth through instruction in Christian doctrine and life from the Scriptures and the Lutheran Confessions;
- Publishes literature, curricula, resource materials, and articles using print media and electronic media;
- Organizes regional conferences, local retreats, and other events;
- Encourages youth to consider vocations of service in the church;
- Resources parents in nurturing and catechizing their children;
- Equips youth to confess the Gospel of Jesus Christ to all people;
- Equips church workers and youth leaders for confessional Lutheran youth ministry;
- Encourages youth to consider vocations of service in the church.
Higher Things® is a Recognized Service Organization (RSO) of the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod.
Board of Directors
Higher Things is an organization of pastors, teachers and laity that seek to teach the faith to the youth of the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod.
Rev. George Borghardt, President
Rev. Duane Bamsch, Vice-President
Terra Bella, CA
Rev. Joel Fritsche, Secretary
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Eric Maiwald, Treasurer
Union Bridge, MD
Rev. Dr. Carl Fickenscher
Fort Wayne, IN
Rev. Chris Rosebrough
Deaconess Ellie Corrow
St. Louis, MO
San Clemente, CA
The executives are roll-up-your-sleeves action types who oversee and coordinate the various operations that make up Higher Things®: Magazine, Web, Conferences, and Leadership Development and Training. They, and the talented people who work with them, are the folks who make Higher Things® happen.
Sandra Ostapowich, Conferences
Connie Brammeier, Business
Kansas City, MO
Rev. Aaron Fenker, Media
Patrick Sturdivant, Marketing – interim
Erica Jacoby, Development